Saturday 10 March 2012

something quite interesting .....

Being a big fan of Steampunk and Victorian culture , I always love to find comics that combine a bit of the two, usually with little success as there are still only a small amount of good steampunk comics that i've managed to find, this i one of the reasons why I would love to create one myself, but I really need to research into it before I could even attempt to do so.

Finally Success!!!! after purchasing "The Steampunk Bible" a book chocked to the brim with mad scientists, airships and inventions. The very essence of Steampunk, this book gave me a vast amount of ideas and various artists to start looking at.

This is where I found Sydney Padua and her amazing comic "The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage"


"The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage concerns the odd footnote* to history that was the unrealised invention of the computer in the 1830s by the eccentric polymath Charles Babbage, and his accomplice the peculiar proto-programmer and daughter of Lord Byron, Ada, Countess of Lovelace."

Her comic contains the surreal adventures of Lovelace and Babbage , two inventors from the Victorian Era but she has then added a unique and surreal twist of them fighting crime, Vampire poets and Street Musicians while the reader is transported into a crazy steampunk enviroment with familiar names such as Sir Isambard Kingdom Brunell , The Duke of Wellington, The Bronte sisters and even Queen Victoria.

Padua  backs up her story with hordes of information about the period and amazing links to other interesting tit bits of Steampunk with her comic,  which to me is a ingenious idea ! 

I really like the idea of giving a surreal and comic view to famous people who we know have led extremely individual lives and went against their status in society to achieve what they want in life 

I would definitely recommend reading this series and I for one will be using this comic as inspiration .




No comments:

Post a Comment